Chartered: October 27, 1794 (Vermont Act of Incorporation)
Area: 20,957 Acres / 32.75 Square Miles [ 188* ]
Coordinates (Geographic Center): 73°00'W 44°24'N
Altitude ASL: 319 feet
Population (US Census, 2000): 4,090 [ 36* ]
Population Density (persons per square mile): 124.9 [ 32* ]
Tax Rate: $2.057 ('03)
Equalized Value: $263,815,225 ('03)
*Area, Population and Density rankings above refer to Richmond's relative position among Vermont's 255 civic entities (9 cities, 242 towns, 4 gores and grants).
Richmond was created from lands in what had been three contiguous towns (Jericho, Williston and Huntington); a piece of a fourth (Bolton) was added later. How a new town came to be created from some of the best land in four others is buried deep in petitions and laws of the young state. The whole thing has the distinct odor of politics, with the Allens, the Chittendens and other members of the Onion River Company involved. How the name was chosen is not known, though we can reasonably rule out honoring royalty.
Richmond Center has always been the chief village, though Jonesville, to the south on Route 2, was a close second for a number of years. Ransome Jones was a prominent village merchant in the 1880's.
Fays Corners, on the road to Hinesburg, received a post office in 1890. Truman Fay's widow, Salome, was the one and only postmistress, the office folding two years later for lack of business. The chief business in that area was the Fay family's wool-carding and cloth dying mill, but that was defunct by 1900.
Information courtesy of: www.virtualvermont.com